Thursday 3 April 2014

Someone call 999! Girl who got stuck trying to rescue her iPhone from down the drain has to be rescued by firemen

As any parent will tell you, teenagers and their phones are not easily parted.
Take 16-year-old Ella Sankey, who dropped her new iPhone down a drain while walking her dog.
Determined to retrieve it, she climbed into the drain – only to find that she couldn’t get out. An amused crowd, including her own mother, gathered to watch her struggle before she was eventually freed by firemen.
The teenager became caught in the storm drain in an attempt to retrieve her phone, that has since between described as 'ruined'
The teenager became caught in the storm drain in an attempt to retrieve her phone, that has since between described as 'ruined'
Firefighters rescued the girl from the drain near her home less than 10 minutes after receiving the call
Firefighters rescued the girl from the drain near her home less than 10 minutes after receiving the call
Miss Birchenough was eventually hoisted to safety after he attempt to get her phone went wrong
Miss Birchenough was eventually hoisted to safety after he attempt to get her phone went wrong

Ella-Anne shortly after regaining her freedom. The teenager is completely unhurt but the phone is ruined
Ella-Anne shortly after regaining her freedom. The teenager is completely unhurt but the phone is ruined
Emergency services had to be called and, luckily, it was a quick rescue. Kent Fire and Rescue Service received the call at 7.17pm and by 7.26pm, Miss Birchenough was free.
These photographs, taken by an eye witness, show two firefighters grabbing her arms and hauling her to safety while another watches on.
 

The girl's mother, Joanne Birchenough , 36, dashed to the scene and then dialled 999 and three firefighters turned up to gently pull the red-faced schoolgirl free.
Miss Birchenough, a GCSE student at Astol College, had only had bought the phone two weeks ago on a contract.
She said: 'I was talking to somebody and I went to put my phone in my pocket and it fell down the drain.
'I thought to myself 'I'm not leaving this' and I jumped down to get it.
'I wasn't really even stuck, I just need somebody to help lift me out but my mum got all panicky.
'When they pulled me out I ran straight home and jumped in the bath. I think it was just water but I wasn't taking any chances.
Ella-Anne Birchenough, 16, managed to squeeze down the small drain on her street in Dover, Kent
Ella-Anne Birchenough, 16, managed to squeeze down the small drain on her street in Dover, Kent

'I was just laughing the whole time, I have seen the funny side of it. You just have to laugh along with it.

'There have been a few nasty comments about me being fat which isn't nice but I'm trying not to take it to heart.'

Taxi operative Joanne, who also has an eight-year-old son Ben, said: 'I was really worried. My face went white and I was in a panic.
Ella-Anne hoisted off the drain cover in order to get to her phone
The schoolgirl said that even at the time, she could see the funny side of the accident
Ella-Anne had to hoist off the heavy drain cover to climb down, she said even at the time she saw the funny side


'I was scared she might sink.
'I ran out the house, turned the corner - but as soon as I saw her I burst out laughing.
'I thought 'we are never going to get her out of there' so I called the fire service who got there pretty quickly.
'We are going to have to replace the phone but I'm not too angry. Worst case scenario is she ends up with an old Nokia.
'She is never going to live this down now. We will be bringing it out at her 18th birthday and her wedding.
'But worse things can happen then getting stuck in a drain.'
A firefighter from Dover fire station said: 'She was trying to retrieve her iPhone that she dropped down there. It's very unusual! I hear a few people have taken pictures.'
The drain cover and a pair of red wellies and a towel, understood to belong to the teenager, were next to the drain.
The photos of the incident have been posted on Facebook and Twitter and have since gone viral on the social networking sites.
The girl was not injured but a friend posted on Facebook that the phone was 'ruined'.

No comments:

Post a Comment